- Portfolio A to Z
- Carrier Ethernet Transport
- Customer Care Automation
- Customer Experience Management (CEM) for Liquid Net
- Device Management
- Heterogeneous Networks
- Integrated Packet Transport Network
- Mobile Backhaul
- Mobile Site Connectivity
- Multi Vendor Configuration Management and Optimization
- Multilayer Optimization
- Multiservice IP Backbone
- Network Sharing
- Operator Content Delivery Network (CDN)
- Policy Integration Package
- Quality of Service Differentiation
- Self Organizing Networks
- Service Operations and Management
- Smartphone Friendly Networks
- Subscriber Data Management
- Voice over LTE
- WCDMA Refarming
- Liquid Net
- Customer Experience Management
- Latest launches and updates
- Business Needs
- News & Events
- Innovative thinking
- About us
- Global presence
- Government relations and policies
- Contact us
- Directory of contacts
Nokia Siemens Networks frees spectrum, increases data capacity on #CDMA
Arlington Heights, Chicago, USA – June 15, 2012
EV-DO Advanced software helps operators meet surging demand for mobile broadband
CDMA subscribers globally can now enjoy a vastly improved data experience and faster speeds, even in high density areas. With EV-DO Advanced*, Nokia Siemens Networks introduces a set of features that enable more efficient use of network resources. These features increase data capacity by up to 40% in loaded cells thereby helping operators economically manage greater data traffic volumes, without the need for hardware investment, via a straightforward software upgrade.
“We are fully focused on technologies that enable a superior mobile broadband experience, and EV-DO Advanced is one such development. It is a major driver of CDMA evolution and adding this to our portfolio reflects our strong commitment to the technology standard,” said Scott Mottonen, head of the CDMA/LTE business line, Nokia Siemens Networks.
“By dynamically adding network capacity where and when it is needed through an incremental, selective and cost-effective upgrade, EV-DO Advanced addresses growing demand for data."
Nokia Siemens Networks’ EV-DO Advanced software comprises a number of capabilities** that increase network capacity, deliver higher data rates and prioritize and allocate bandwidth better to improve overall network efficiency. In addition, these features improve mobile device performance and extend battery life. This announcement follows the company’s previously launched 1X Advanced feature, both of which strengthen its portfolio and are further evidence of its commitment to the CDMA roadmap.
Nokia Siemens Networks’ EV-DO Advanced software is commercially available and is currently being rolled out by a leading operator. In addition to the software, Nokia Siemens Networks also offers global expertise and a complete portfolio of services including consultancy, design and planning, systems integration, deployment, optimization, maintenance and managed services for CDMA networks.
To share your thoughts on the topic, join the discussion on Twitter using #CDMA and #mobilebroadband.
About Nokia Siemens Networks
Nokia Siemens Networks is the world’s specialist in mobile broadband. From the first ever call on GSM, to the first call on LTE, we operate at the forefront of each generation of mobile technology. Our global experts invent the new capabilities our customers need in their networks. We provide the world’s most efficient mobile networks, the intelligence to maximize the value of those networks and the services to make it all work seamlessly.
With headquarters in Espoo, Finland, we operate in over 150 countries and had net sales of over 14 billion Euros in 2011. http://www.nokiasiemensnetworks.com
Nokia Siemens Networks
Phone: +358 7140 02869
E-mail: mediarelations [at] nsn [dot] com
* EV-DO Advanced is a CDMA2000 mobile technology standard that enables more efficient use of network resources.
** Nokia Siemens Networks’ EV-DO Advanced software encompasses a number of features that increase network capacity. Those implemented include:
- Network Load Balancing (NLB) reassigns mobile devices from heavily-loaded sectors to lightly-loaded sectors, to increase network capacity, reduce backhaul bottlenecks and improve data rates.
- Smart Carrier Management maximizes data throughput and overall network capacity by assigning one or more carriers to a device (within the same cell or from an adjacent cell) if they are less loaded or offer better coverage.
- Enhanced Connection Management optimizes device connections to the network depending on the type of application being used to improve signaling capacity and reduce latency. It includes new features that will enhance device performance and data speeds and extend battery life.
Other EV-DO Advanced features include:
- Adaptive Frequency Reuse ensures seamless coverage by reducing the interference in a capacity-constrained cell so the primary carrier frequency operates optimally.
- Distributed Network Scheduler prioritizes and allocates bandwidth to multiple users at a network level, to maximize overall network efficiency.
- With Single Carrier Multilink, two carriers using the same frequency can serve a dual-antenna mobile device from different cells/sectors. The user device can thus achieve the benefits of a multicarrier network, even if the user moves to a single carrier network.
The following EV-DO Advanced features are embedded in the device, not in the infrastructure:
- Enhanced Equalizers take advantage of uneven loading traffic to significantly increase cell-edge data throughput.
- With Mobile Transmit Diversity (MTD), the mobile device uses an additional antenna to significantly increase reverse link sector capacity and improve user data rates at the cell edge.