- Portfolio A to Z
- Carrier Ethernet Transport
- Customer Care Automation
- Customer Experience Management (CEM) for Liquid Net
- Device Management
- Heterogeneous Networks
- Integrated Packet Transport Network
- Mobile Backhaul
- Mobile Site Connectivity
- Multi Vendor Configuration Management and Optimization
- Multilayer Optimization
- Multiservice IP Backbone
- Network Sharing
- Operator Content Delivery Network (CDN)
- Policy Integration Package
- Quality of Service Differentiation
- Self Organizing Networks
- Service Operations and Management
- Smartphone Friendly Networks
- Subscriber Data Management
- Voice over LTE
- WCDMA Refarming
- Liquid Net
- Customer Experience Management
- Latest launches and updates
- Business Needs
- News & Events
- Innovative thinking
- About us
- Global presence
- Government relations and policies
- Contact us
- Directory of contacts
Smart WLAN* automatically extends mobile broadband to Wi-Fi #MWC11
Mobile World Congress 2011, Barcelona, Spain – 8 February 2011
Nokia Siemens Networks transforms Wi-Fi into seamless extension of mobile networks and helps operators deal with congestion
Nokia Siemens Networks has launched its Smart WLAN Connectivity Solution that enhances mobile broadband through selectively offloading traffic to Wi-Fi without any break in service. This approach can provide faster data connections, ensuring that mobile network capacity is preserved. Smart WLAN Connectivity removes the need to manually switch a device’s data connection between Wi-Fi and cellular broadband, handling the transition without interrupting service.
“We all know that mobile data traffic is growing at an exponential rate due to the widespread adoption of smart phones, tablets and net books,” said Thorsten Robrecht, head of network systems product management at Nokia Siemens Networks. “All these devices support Wi-Fi so integrating Wi-Fi with mobile networks can reduce the need for additional capacity in the wider mobile network, particularly, in traffic hotspot areas. People can enjoy a superior and seamless service without the hassle of having to choose among different networks and technologies, resulting in higher customer satisfaction and loyalty.”
Smart WLAN Connectivity Solution allows integration of Wi-Fi and mobile networks, thereby, providing increased overall network capacity, supporting both data and voice services.
The solution also allows operators to use the existing services and functionality supported by its packet core network such as authentication, charging, policy control and traffic management for both mobile and Wi-Fi traffic in a unified way. This helps operators to maintain their position in the information value chain coupled with visibility and control over the people’s experiences regarding use of Wi-Fi.
Nokia Siemens Networks’ Smart WLAN Connectivity Solution will be available for commercial use in 1H 2011. Further details of the requirements and capability of the Smart WLAN Connectivity Solution can be seen in the ‘Notes to editors’ at the end of this release.
The new Smart WLAN Connectivity Solution is being launched at Mobile World Congress, 2011 in Barcelona, Spain. Network operators, customers, press and analysts are welcome to see the solution at Nokia Siemens Networks’ Experience Center in Hall 8, C01.
About Nokia Siemens Networks
Nokia Siemens Networks is a leading global enabler of telecommunications services. With its focus on innovation and sustainability, the company provides a complete portfolio of mobile, fixed and converged network technology, as well as professional services including consultancy and systems integration, deployment, maintenance and managed services. It is one of the largest telecommunications hardware, software and professional services companies in the world. Operating in 150 countries, its headquarters are in Espoo, Finland. www.nokiasiemensnetworks.com
Nokia Siemens Networks
Phone: +358 7180 31399
E-mail: johanna [dot] harjula [at] nsn [dot] com
Phone: +358 7180 31451
E-mail: mediarelations [at] nsn [dot] com
Notes to editors:
* A wireless local area network (WLAN) links two or more devices using wireless distribution method, usually by providing a connection through an access point to the wider internet. This gives the users the mobility to move around within a local coverage area and still be connected to the network. WLANs offer high access data rates but provide limited (hotspot) coverage whereas mobile networks such as GPRS and UMTS offer widespread (typically nationwide) coverage at lower data rates. WLAN-mobile interworking scenario thus allows mobile coverage to act as an overlay to WLAN hotspot coverage.
Nokia Siemens Networks’ Smart WLAN Connectivity Solution comprises of all the following vital elements for end-to-end functionality:
- Device management (SADM) automatically configures device settings for available networks. The settings also include Wi-Fi network selection policies, ensuring that the compatible devices connect automatically to the preferred Wi-Fi networks, whenever available.
- Authentication and Identity management (One-AAA) authenticates the users’ access to services via Wi-Fi networks. Supported SIM based authentication provides secure and transparent authentication method to the users, which doesn’t require a code/password to be typed.
- Flexi NG (Network Gateway) integrates Wi-Fi access with the mobile core network and enables them to work as one harmonized network.
- Policy Control Server (PCS 5000) provides QoS and charging policies for both mobile and Wi-Fi accesses, enabling service authorization, bandwidth management and user prioritization according to operator needs and subscriptions.