Take advantage of Wi-Fi networks to deliver an improved mobile broadband experience without costly network expansion and by using the existing network elements.
The richness and diversity of over-the-top (OTT) services, combined with the increased availability of ubiquitous and affordable broadband connectivity have brought about some noticeable trends in user behavior and needs. User engagement in consuming OTT services like, Web streaming, Video, Music continues to strengthen, with high association around specific ecosystems e.g. associated with devices and social networks.
Usage has become increasingly individualized - time independent, place independent and device independent, resulting in some very significant changes in the way that subscribers perceptions and increased expectations towards their operator. To retain relevance in this new ecosystem, operators are looking for ways to recapture the attention and loyalty of their subscribers – particularly those who are most actively engaged in consuming OTT services.
The key challenges are - Mobile data volumes are rapidly increasing, majority of connections are originated from indoors, users expect easy to access services with faster data downloads.
- By 2015 more than 90% of wireless traffic will be data. (Analysis Mason)
- 60-70% of traffic is estimated to be generated indoors. (ABI Research)
- Video and TV Streaming is the fastest growing data traffic type. (ABI Research)
What does Nokia Siemens Networks offer?
Our Smart WLAN Connectivity solution based on standards, mainly 3GPP, turns Wi-Fi networks into seamless extensions of mobile network. The solution provides 3G like usability and security when users access to their Mobile services via Wi-Fi networks, and also network operator tools to have greater visibility and control over Wi-Fi traffic and end user experience. The solution is an overlay solution to existing mobile and Wi-Fi networks allowing operators to use existing networks as part of the solution and has the ability to upgrade smoothly towards LTE. As a result, end users get faster data connections, and your mobile network’s capacity is preserved.
To address the growing demand of voice & data, Smart WLAN Connectivity offers various deployment options.
- Easy Wi-Fi Access provides an easy to use solution for offloading selected traffic automatically to a preferred Wi-Fi network, like operator hotspot, roaming partner hotspot or home Wi-Fi, connecting directly to Internet.
- Wi-Fi Interworking allows integrating Wi-Fi access to packet core network, allowing harmonized and secure traffic handling for both mobile and Wi-Fi accesses (like charging and policy control).
- Evolved Wi-Fi Interworking allows integrating Wi-Fi access to unified Evolved Packet Core network with enhanced Wi-Fi functionality, improving usability and mobility.
Here are the products that you can use to implement our Smart WLAN Connectivity solution for Voice & Data offloading.
The business benefits
- Higher customer satisfaction and reduced churn
- Helps maintain your position in the traffic value chain and control the user experience for Wi-Fi access.
- Carry larger volumes of traffic and support a higher number of end users
- Improved mobile broadband experience for end users without costly network expansion
- Better indoor coverage
- Preserve macro network capacity, so your mobile network’s subscribers get an improved experience too
Why Nokia Siemens Networks?
Nokia Siemens Networks Smart WLAN Connectivity Solution offers seamless handover between IMS-based voice calls and data on 2G, 3G, LTE and Wi-Fi is unique in the industry.
Save CAPEX and OPEX through re-use of existing Packet Core infrastructure, Flexi NG for integrating Wi-Fi access to packet core
Increase ARPU and decrease Congestion with better indoor coverage and higher data download speeds resulting in less subscriber churn.
We can connect all smart devices (Smart Phones/ Tabs/ iPads) automatically to the preferred Wi-Fi network.
Find out more about our Smart WLAN solution